History of Tucker's Barn

FROM A BARN TO A CITY

 

The original settlement of Lenoir was first known as Tucker’s Barn.  The community of Tucker’s Barn, which was settled by a family named Tucker around 1765, was on the north side of Lower Creek.  Their home became a gathering place for many occasions.  It was a voting precinct, a muster ground, a store and a place for “frolics” and celebrations.  At least one large Fourth of July celebration included a drum corps, a march of Revolutionary veterans and speeches by General William Lenoir, Edmund Jones, Parson Miller, the McDowells and a barbeque. The place was so popular that a piece of music suitable for violins was composed by a musician and entitled

“Tucker’s Barn”.

 

For more information on Tucker's Barn visit:  http://www.caldwellcountync.org/county-history/

 

Click here for a YouTube video of Doc Watson performing "Tucker's Barn"

 

 

A view from Tucker's Barn